Thursday, November 1, 2012

Book Worm: Monster Hunter 3G Official Guide


READING IS FUNDAMENTAL: The last time I went to Japan during the 2011-2012 holiday season, the only Monster Hunter 3G books available only had limited information thanks to Capcom's data embargo for the game. So I went ahead and got myself a couple of armor and weapon guidebooks as well as Enterbrain's Monster Hunter 3G Rookies' Guide. 

Fast forward to October 2012 and I found myself setting up a Tenso.com account in the hope that Capcom would release a Monster Hunter 4 3DS LL bundle in March. The idea was that by buying a bundle directly from a Japanese store and having it shipped to my Japanese Tenso address and forwarded to the U.S., I could save some money in contrast to buying from an import shop. I needed a product to test the process with, though, so I decided to order the official "Monster Hunter 3G Guide Book" by Famitsu from Amazon Japan.

The good news was that I got a pretty good deal and found the book for less than $20 and free shipping to my Tenso address to boot. The bad news? Handling and shipping fees from Tenso to my U.S. address cost  about $40. Ouch. Let's just say this is one chunky book, folks. On the plus side, EMS shipping was super fast and I at least succeeded with my little Tenso experiment (I even got a free calendar and some coupons to help ease the pain on my wallet a bit). 

The book has some pretty good information so I will now be updating the guides I've been creating for the site. This includes adding percentages to my inaugural Moga Village Item Gathering Guide and every subsequent map I do in the future. In the meantime, folks who want to get the guide either through Kinokuniya, Amazon Japan or some other source can look it up via its identifier, ISBN978-4-04-728027-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment